With spring in full bloom and a sunny sky to match, nothing is better keeping up the good mood with this sweet and aromatic salad. Crunchy fennel and zesty blood oranges are a heavenly combination, and together with the sweet acidity of balsamic vinegar and buttery walnuts, you can’t go wrong.
This Blood Orange & Fennel Salad is without a doubt one of my favourite recipes – one that I regularly prepare for a quick work lunch. It is surprisingly filling and easy to prepare, and all your need is a few household items such as a sharp knife and a chopping board (for the latter, a plate will do if you’re at work). I swear by keeping a small bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar along with a bag of walnuts at my desk to save me the trouble of carrying these things with me each day, so I only have to pack up a piece of fennel and an orange in my work bag – how simple is that?
For 1 portion
- 1 middle-sized blood orange
- ½ Florence fennel bulb
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Handful Walnuts
- Fennel leaves to garnish
What you’ll need:
- Chopping board
- Large kitchen knife
- Small serving bowl
- Wash the fennel and thinly slice half a bulb. Place in the serving bowl.
- Skin the blood orange with a knife. Make sure to save any juice from the orange during the cutting process and add it to the bowl. Slice the peeled blood orange and place on top of the fennel pieces.
- Take the olive oil bottle, place your thumb on the bottle opening and sprinkle on top of the orange. Do the same with the balsamic vinegar.
- Then take a handful of walnuts, break them in small pieces and top the salad. Do the same with the fennel leaves to garnish. Enjoy!